A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd
Mystery Book Club
A Duty to the Dead Discussion Questions
- What do you think of the 1st person narration?
- Do you like Bess Crawford?
- Does the historical setting feel realistic?
- The book begins on a lovely day but it devolves quickly into crisis, does this pull you into the story?
- How does Bess’s broken arm change her viewpoint on the situation?
- What do you think of Bess’s need to give one of Arthur Graham’s brothers his last message?
- Bess’s father says that “Courage will keep her safer than fear.” Do you agree?
- Is the Duty to the Dead satisfied when Bess passes the message onto Arthur?
- What did you think of Bess helping the doctor with the patient with shelf shock?
- Did you expect Bess to acquire a patient while visiting the Grahams?
- What do you think of Peregrine?
- Were you surprised the Peregrine escaped the asylum and hid in Bess’s London flat?
- Would you help Peregrine find his past if you were Bess?
- What do you think of the story of Lucy’s death?
- How did the quote that the one the killed Lucy was the apple of his mother’s eye strike you?
- What do you think of the idea of six murders when it’s introduced?
- Who did you think was the murderer and why?
- What do you think of Jonathan’s confession?
- Were you surprised by actual killer?
- How shocking is a 9 year old killer?
- Did you like the book?
- Would you read more in the series?
Created by Michelle Haring