A Potion to Die For by Heather Blake
Mystery Book Club
A Potion to Die For Discussion Questions
- What do you think of the 1st person narration?
- Is the first line, “If there were a Wanted poster for witches, I was sure my freckled face would be on it” engaging?
- Does the lack of cell phones in town change the story?
- What do you think of a main character who brews love potions?
- Were you surprised that the town people were chasing her to buy love potions to save their marriages rather than to arrest her for being a witch?
- Do you like Carly?
- What do you think of her cousin Delia?
- What did you think of finding the body at the end of Chapter 1?
- Dylan is a police officer and Carly’s ex-fiancée, is that awkward?
- Is it weird that in a cozy mystery that the victim was a well-liked lawyer?
- What do you think of Carly’s magic?
- Carly takes her cats to work with her, do you like cats in a magic shop?
- Does it seem a little odd that people clamoring for Carly’s potions are put off by one man who dislikes her and is under a cloud of suspicion himself and claims she poisoned him?
- Why do you think big city lawyers keep trying to buy the Old Buzzard Inn?
- Does it seem like this book has many suspects?
- Is Marjie a real suspect because of her shooting at trespassers?
- Does it seem weird that Delia is selling Carly’s lovely hand-blown glass bottles at a church white elephant event when she has her own store?
- Why is Carly’s mom’s competitor, Johnny, threatening Carly?
- Should Carly have someone to bounce her ideas about the case off of?
- Did you expect Coach Butts to physically attack Carly?
- Should Carly use the key to Nelson’s house that Bernice gave her?
- Did you think that Angelea was the embezzler?
- Were you surprised the Carly risked her life to save Angelea?
- Is showing the murderer her ring that she lost while dumping the body a good idea?
- Did you like the book?
- Would you read more in the series?
Created by Michelle Haring