The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
Mystery Book Club
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie Discussion Questions
- What do you think of the 1st person narration?
- The story begins with the main character untying herself and getting out of the closet that someone put her in, how does this shape your view of her character?
- Did you think it was her sisters who stuffed her into the closet?
- Do you like Flavia?
- What do you think of Flavia poisoning her older sister’s lipstick?
- Did Flavia’s father’s reaction to the dead bird seem odd?
- What do you think of Flavia’s reaction to the dead body?
- Should a police inspector question an 11 year old without an adult present?
- Does the town library in a car showroom sound interesting?
- Does the setting of England in 1950 feel realistic?
- Would it be difficult for an 11 year old to investigate a murder?
- Is confessing to murder a good way for Flavia to protect her father?
- Is Flavia’s father in any way responsible for the stamp theft from his school boy days?
- How would Flavia’s investigation be different if she had any friends?
- What do you think of her suspect list?
- Were you surprised the Dr. Kissing was still alive?
- Did Mr. Twining’s murder surprise you?
- What do you think of this kidnapping of Flavia?
- What do you think of the interaction between the inspector and Flavia in her laboratory?
- Did you like the book?
- Would you read more in the series?
Created by Michelle Haring