The Darkest Part of The Forest by Holly Black
Book Club Questions
About 15 years ago, we started our first book club at Cupboard Maker Books. From the beginning, we wanted to read non-traditional book club choices. We have always written book club questions to provide structure for the discussion.
Please feel free to use these questions.
Warning: These questions contain SPOILERS for this book.
- What do you think of the 3rd person narration?
- Is the boy in the coffin a good introduction to the story?
- Would you want to live in Fairfold?
- Would you want to visit Fairfold?
- What do you think of the sexuality in the book?
- What do you think of Carter’s mother getting her child back and keeping the changeling?
- Would you have kept the changeling?
- Is kissing boys a bad thing?
- Why do you think Hazel does it?
- Would you rather be Ben or Hazel, the child with the curse of talent or the ordinary one?
- Does Lucky’s, the secondhand store, sound interesting?
- What do you think of Hazel bargaining with the Folk as a 10 year old?
- Does Ben and Hazel’s upbringing sound healthy?
- Who is your favorite character?
- What do you think of Ben and Hazel killing the monsters?
- Why do you think Ben really stopped playing music?
- Did you expect the coffin to break open?
- Is Severin, the sleeping prince, what you expected?
- What do you think of the gas leak excuse for the situation at the school?
- What did you think of the faire revel?
- Were you surprised that Hazel’s been living a double life that she doesn’t remember?
- What do you think of the relationship between the fae Sorrel and her husband Johannes?
- What do you think of the townspeople trying to give Jack back to the Folk?
- Who is the villain of the story?
- What do you think of the ending?
- Did you like the book?
Need to pick-up a copy of the book? Head over to Bookshop.org
The Cupboard Maker Books
157 N. Enola Rd
Enola, PA 17025